In today's video we'll explore the question:
What separates a good singer from a GREAT singer?
The answer, in my opinion, is musical phrasing.
Singer buds! Many of you have talked to me about the incredible amounts of tension you experience while singing, and I want to help!
I've been cooking up some cool warmups that (1) Relax you, (2) Open your voice, (3) Get you LOVING on yourself and feeling confident. :)
(I've been trying to come up with a title for these, I'm thinking "Let's Get Singer-High"?)
Anyway, I wanted to give you a short 'n' sweet preview of one warmup that will get you to:
(1) Open your voice and relax your throat and larynx
(2) Lift your soft palate while relaxing your jaw
(3) Look at yourself in the mirror and think HEY I LOVE MYSELF!
And here it is!
The sung line is "I LIKE LOOKING AT YOU" and the musical pattern is 1-1-3-2-1-1.
Here's the nitty gritty:
(1) Look in the mirror while you do this. It will help to make sure....
(2) You keep the back of your mouth open and relaxed the whole time, kind of like you're yawning. So you sing "I LIKE LOOKING AT YOU"...